Important note for 2018 trips:
A combination of weather events beyond our control have forced us to cancel all our 2018 trips. We'll be back next season, hope you can join us!!
Rock Candy Safari:
An introduction to Rock Candy’s colorful minerals and mining history. You will collect gemmy green fluorite, banded purple fluorite, sparkling quartz and (if you’re lucky!) barite crystals. Access to druzy quartz and fluorite zones. Safari trips start June 1st.
Dates: June 1 to Oct 1.
Trips are available 7 days per week, June through September. Advance booking is highly recommended! Safaris require a minimum of six participants to run; we cannot predict whether the minimum will be met unless you pre-register.
We are now partnered with a local business, Lynden Tree Yarns, to offer the Safari trips. Yes, we partner with a yarn shop! The owner of the shop, Lynn, is married to our lead tour guide, John. If you’d like ideas for knitting a necklace to show off your Rock Candy fluorite, Lynden Tree has free advice and beautiful yarn & trimmings.
Times: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m The trip departs our rural meeting place at 10 a.m. Directions are sent when you book.
- Prices: $40/adult, $30/child
- We do not recommend this trip for kids under 3.
- Call for Group price for up to 25 people.
- Prices are in Canadian dollars.
Collect all you can carry in one load. Access to main pit only. We provide hammers and one-size-fits-all safety goggles, bring a chisel if you want one. Closed-toe footwear required.
Colorful Crystals Tour:
Family-oriented collecting tour, where you will have access to freshly mined areas, which ensures abundant collecting opportunities. Fluorite crystals are so abundant on these tours that you will be standing on specimens as you collect others! Kids will love the abundance of sparkly quartz geodes in gemmy green fluorite. Depart Grand Forks at 9 a.m., return by 3 p.m. Access to at least 3 zones. This trip is usually only offered once per year.
Scouts: This trip will qualify you for Geology merit badges.
Book through Geology Adventures. Advance booking is required. This trip ususually fills at least a month in advance.
- Price is $90/adult; $68/child/senior.
- Group price is $1400, for up to 30 people. Discount available for non-profit organizations.
- Prices are in U.S. dollars. Click to compute rate in Canadian dollars: http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter#from=USD;to=CAD
Collect all you can carry on a day-long trip. We provide hammers & chisels. This trip is only offered once per year, don’t miss out! Colorful Crystals tour available:
2018 date: July 22 Trip meets @ 9 a.m. in Grand Forks, BC, directions and other info emailed when you book.
Voluminous Vugs Tour: Featured on the Travel Channel show, Cash & Treasures.
Photos of our TV shoot here.
Serious mineral collectors love this tour, with fresh vugs opened just for you. Includes use of our professional collecting tools, as well as hammers, chisels, pry bars. Collect in the same areas which we mine to produce museum specimens. Meet us in Grand Forks at 9 a.m., for 8 hours of the best collecting you’ve ever experienced. Access to all zones.
Book through Geology Adventures. Advance booking is required. These trips usually fill several months in advance.
- $450/person Kids 14 and up are welcome, but will be charged full price.
- Group price is $2600, for up to 8 people.
- Price is in US dollars. Click to compute rate in Canadian dollars: http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter#from=USD;to=CAD
- We may limit the amount you collect in museum quality vugs to the first $1000/worth. Why is there a limit and how is it enforced? See FAQ.
We allow a maximum of 8 collectors on site during the ‘vugs’ tour.
2018 date: July 21